Based in Melbourne, Australia
March 11, 2014
Press / Business contact:
Samurai Punk is a small Melbourne-based independent game developer that creates games with love and care for people who want to play them.
HistoryEarly History (2013)
Samurai Punk was forged in 2013 in the aftermath of Global Game Jam 2013 by Nicholas McDonnell and Winston Tang. Samurai Punk quickly established a name for themselves and became known for their ambitious nature, quirky style and out-of-the-box style design sense. Their 2013 jam games include Samurai XX, FROWNTOWN and Connections.Hazumino (2014)
Riding on the momentum from their game jam experience, Samurai Punk began work on their first major project, Hazumino for iOS and Android. Combining the genres of endless runners and falling block puzzles, Hazumino presented players with a fresh, but familiar gameplay experience. Hazumino has been praised for its charming art-style, catchy chiptune soundtrack and innovative gameplay. Hazumino is out now on the App Store and Google Play Store.Screencheat (2014 - 2016)
During the development of Hazumino, Samurai Punk participated in Global Game Jam 2014 and produced Screencheat with Winston, Nicholas, Hadleigh and Justin Whitfort on the team. Screencheat is a multiplayer splitscreen shooter in which everyone is invisbile and the only way to find other players is to screencheat. Samurai Punk picked up several awards for Screencheat, including Best Marketing and Jammer's Choice for Best Game as well as honorable mentions for Best Accessibility, Best Use of Theme and Judge's Choice for Best Game. The team continued work on the game throughout the year, refining the gameplay and adding new content and features including an updated art-style, new maps, new game modes, online play and much more. Screencheat had the honour of being selected for the PAX Prime 2014 Indie MEGABOOTH and the PAX Australia 2014 Australian Indie Showcase. Screencheat is out now for PC/Mac/Linux on Steam, Humble and GoG and is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on 1st March 2016.
There are currently no trailers available for Samurai Punk. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
There are far more images available for Samurai Punk, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Australian Game Developer Awards 2015 - Technical Excellence" - Screencheat, October, 2015
- "Indie Prize Showcase - Most Innovative Game" - Screencheat, May, 2015
- "Indie Prize Showcase - Best Multiplayer" - Screencheat, May, 2015
- "Freeplay - Finalist for Best Design" - Screencheat, April, 2015
- "IGN Black Beta Select Awards - Runner Up for Best Aussie/NZ-Made Game" - Screencheat, February, 2015
- "Kotaku Awards 2014 - Runner Up for Australian Game of the Year" - Screencheat, December, 2014
- "PAX Aus - Australian Indie Showcase" - Screencheat, October, 2014
- "PAX Prime - Indie MEGABOOTH" - Screencheat, August, 2014
- "The Guardian - Featured by The Guardian's Top Android Apps of the Week" - Hazumino, May, 2014
- "AppsZoom - Top Pick App" - Hazumino, May, 2014
- "Melbourne Global Game Jam 2014 - Jamers Choice for Best Game" - Screencheat, February, 2014
- "Melbourne Global Game Jam 2014 - Honorable Mentions for Best Accessibility, Best Use of Theme and Judge's Choice for Best Game" - Screencheat, February, 2014
- "Melbourne Global Game Jame 2013 - Runner Up for Most Accessible Game" - Samurai XX, 12 February, 2013
Winston Tang on Twitter
Personal Twitter for Winston Tang (@winstonoftang) available at twitter.com.
Nicholas McDonnell on Twitter
Personal Twitter for Nicholas McDonnell (@nicholasmc1) available at twitter.com.
Justin Whitfort on Twitter
Personal Twitter for Justin Whitfort (@JustinWhitfort) available at twitter.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator